Subtasks in Rocketlane allow you to micro manage tasks and task assignments by breaking a parent task into smaller tasks.
Subtasks function as independent tasks with the same properties as a parent task and are constituted within a parent task.
How to Add a Subtask?
- Go to Projects and select the project where you want to add subtask to.
- Go to the Project Plan or List or Board View and select the task that you want to add the subtask to.
- From the Task pane, go to Subtasks and click 'Add task'.
- You can add a new subtask by typing in a name for the subtask and press Enter.
- The subtask will be added to the list of subtasks.
Adding Multiple Subtasks
You can bulk add a list of subtasks from the Parent Task's Task Pane.
- Create a list of subtasks that you want to add to your project. Select the list and copy it to clipboard.
- Go to Projects and select the project where you want to add sub tasks.
- Go to the Project Plan or List or Board View and select the task that you want to add sub tasks to.
- From the task pane, go to Subtasks and click Add task.
- Paste the list of tasks you want to add.
- The subtask list will be added to the Subtasks section.
Subtasks function like independent tasks with all the same fields as a parent task, but are embedded within a parent task.
To assign properties to a subtask and explore task functionalities, go to the project and click on the parent task.
From the Subtasks section in the Task pane, select the subtask.
Subtask functionalities are similar to task functionalities. To read more about basics of a task click here.
Note: Subtasks have a mention of the Project followed by the parent task in the Task pane view.
Advanced Status Automations for Subtasks
You can automate the status update for a task based on the status update of sub tasks.
- Go to Settings > Advanced.
- Under the Status Automation > Tasks section you have the following options:
Change parent task's status to 'Completed' if all subtasks are completed.
Change the parent task's status from 'To do' to 'In progress' when one or more subtask’s status is changed from 'To do' to any other status.
Change the status of all subtasks to 'Completed' when a parent task is marked as 'Completed'.
- You can select multiple options by clicking on the check box next to it.
Hey! Here's hoping that this support document was useful. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any queries.