This help document introduces you to SSO and IdPs and how to configure SAML SSO for Rocketlane using Okta IdP.
What is SSO?
Single sign-on (SSO) is an authentication method that enables users to securely authenticate with multiple applications and websites by using just one set of credentials.
What are Identity Providers (IdPs)?
An identity provider (IdP) is a service that stores and verifies user identity. IdPs are typically cloud-hosted services, and they often work with single sign-on (SSO) providers to authenticate users. Some examples of IdPs are Okta, Google Workspace and azure AD.
Creating a SAML SSO App Integration using Okta
- Login to Okta. In case you do not have an Okta account, create one.
- From the left Nav bar, go to Applications > Applications.
- Click on the 'Create App Integration' button.
- In the 'Create a new app integration' choose the SAML 2.0 option and click Next.
- You will be redirected to the 'Create a SAML Integration page' on the General Settings tab.
App Name: Give your Organisation's name.
App Logo: Give your Organisation's Logo.
App Visibility: You can choose not got display the app icon to users and in the Okta Mobile app through these check boxes.
Click Next after setting up General Settings.
- In Configure SAML tab, provide dummy urls for these fields as these fields are mandatory.
Single sign on URL
Audience URI (SP Entity ID)
- Continuing in the 'Configure SAML' tab, scroll to the 'Attribute Statements (optional)' section.
Add an attribute. Add email as the Name and choose the Value as user.email
- Click on 'Add Another' and add the attribute Name as username and choose the Value as user.email
- Click Next.
- In the Feedback tab, choose if you are a customer or a partner. Click Finish.
- You will be redirected to your App's Integration page.
- From the Sign On tab, scroll and go to 'View SAML setup instructions' from the right side of the screen.
- This will redirect you to the page: How to Configure SAML 2.0 for Your Application. You will need these to configure SAML on Rocketlane.
Authenticating SAML with Rocketlane
- From your Rocketlane account, go to Settings > Security.
- Click on the 'Setup SAML SSO' button.
- The 'Setup SAML SSO' dialog box opens.
- Copy values from the page: How to Configure SAML 2.0 for Your Application to your SAML SSO setup dialog box in Rocketlane according to this table:
How to Configure SAML 2.0 for Rocketlane Application Rocketlane App: Setup SAML SSO Identity Provider Single Sign-On URL IDP Login URL Identity Provider Issuer IDP Entity ID X.509 Certificate X.509 Certificate
Note: Do not copy the Header and Footer while copying the certificate.
- Click Next. The 'Do you want to enable SAML SSO' dialog box appears.
- Go back to the Okta window and go to General > SAML Settings > Edit.
- Click Next for General Settings.
- In the 'Configure SAML' tab under the 'SAML Settings' section provide:
Enter Rocketlane’s (SP) 'IDP Log in URL' for the 'Single sign on URL' field.
Rocketlane’s 'IDP Entity ID' for the 'Audience URI (SP Entity ID)' field in Okta window.
- Click Next and then Finish in Okta.
- Go back to Rocketlane and choose the option: 'Yes, Enable now' from the 'Do you want to enable SAML SSO' dialog box.
Adding People to your SAML App
- From your App Integration page in Okta, go to Assignments tab.
- Go to Assign > Assign to people.
- In the Assign your app to people dialog box, click on assign next to the username.
- You will be asked to confirm the username. Click Save and go back.
- Notice the username that you assigned says Assigned now. Click Done.
- Notice that the assignment has been added to your Assignments list.
Logging in to Rocketlane using SAML SSO
- Go to your Rocketlane login.
- Choose the 'Sign in with SSO' option.
- Enter your credentials in the Okta page. You will be redirected to Rocketlane.
Hey! Here's hoping that this support document was useful. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any queries.